Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fishin' in Sparkleberry

Today marks 1 year since my Dad, Cecil Heyward Johnson, Jr, departed this life. My favorite memories of childhood and teenage years are of fishin' in Sparkleberry Swamp with my Dad and brother or sisters or just me and Dad. I made a video for him of a fishing trip with some good music soundtrack after he could no longer get in a boat due to poor health. He told me it meant a great deal to him and we had a blast watching and listening to it.

Here's a link: Sparkleberry Swamp

I enjoyed watching it again today. Thank you Dad for those memories and for teaching me about the swamp, the farm, trees and everything else. We all miss you. I thought about you today when I was walking with Keller. I remembered how much we laughed when I called you from Giants Stadium on Father's Day in 1991. I was at a Grateful Dead/Little Feat concert and had been on the road for a few weeks with the Dead. I said "Happy Birthday Dad" when he answered. Of course, it was Father's Day. He understood and was glad to hear I was alive and doing mighty fine thank you very much...

The reason I thought about that incident was I was thinking about what I would say to him today and I immediately thought "Happy Birthday Dad". It seemed kinda funny until I thought more about it and walked on down the road with Keller. Your death is like a birth, the way out is the way in. So, Happy Birthday Dad!

Here's the tune we played when we put Dad's ashes in the ground. It's Sierra Leone from Derek Trucks Band 3rd CD. It always reminds me of 2 worlds: the hot and dry dirt roads of the South and Africa and at the same time, some other perfect place of peace.

Derek was gracious enough to play this for me in Charlotte the week my Dad passed. They never play this tune and I haven't heard it since.
It was in the Rastaman Chant instrumental that started the 2nd set: 5-26-7dtb

See ya!

Cecil Heyward Johnson, Jr

1 comment:

Cliff Marshall said...

Thanks for sharing this Mark. It's cool to be able to celebrate the one year mark of a loved one's passing instead of mourning it. That's the difference between hope and despair. The difference between following Christ and wandering alone.