Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Monday, January 19, 2009

We Survived the Slopes


We made it back from our trip to Boone, NC with the youth group from Freedom Fellowship.  Miles had a blast hanging with the older kids.  I was in a room with a guy in his mid-20's, Ben Able.  We shared this room with 4 guys under 8th grade, including Miles.  We stayed at the Comfort Inn along with several other church groups and we all got together each night (Saturday and Sunday) on the campus of Appalachian State College for the StudentLife event that included a rocking worship group called Fee lead by  Steve Fee.  Miles really got into that part!  Lots of skits and multimedia presentations going overboard.  It was well run and the speaker both nights was Stuart Hall from Atlanta. He had the kids engaged and laughing.  Good message about loving one another just as we love God because that was his commandment (John 13:34).  One of my favorite verses and one I used on my thank you cards for my sponsors on last year's Africa mission.  

Speaking of the Africa mission, I am speaking to the congregation at Freedom this Sunday.  I am going to tell them about Old Naledi Baptist and what Freedom's sponsorship is helping make happen there in Botswana.  I have been away from Freedom for the last 3 Sundays because of one thing or another, it will be good to be back with my family at Freedom.  I am also planning to go to the 6pm service (just started) for New Spring this Sunday as well.  I don't think Tricia is going to make too many of those since Sunday is a prep day for the school week.  I have invited some of my buddies from my Friday morning group to go with me.  Hopefully, that will happen.

Wow, I got off track, didn't I?  Oh well, back to the ski trip.  Miles did fair and about as expected on the skis (Saturday) and the snowboard (Sunday).  He gave it a shot and although he didn't look very good, I think he enjoyed some of it (I hope) and we will try again another day.  On Sunday, I rented the snowboard package and paid for a private 1 hr lesson for him to get the full experience.  I think we may go back to skis or ski blades on the next trip.  All told, Miles handled the frustration of the new and unnatural experience of skis and boarding very well.  He hung out in the lodge with the group that was not skiing and rested.  I tried not to push him too hard, just wanted him to get a 1st experience of the whole snow sports thing.  I, on the other hand, think I did pretty good. Although the slopes were packed with folks both days making the runs challenging, this was the best snow conditions I have experienced on the East coast ever!  There was fresh snow mixed with some granular man-made stuff.  We got some snow and ice mix on Sunday and then the snow really started coming down on Sunday night.  We are expected to get a little dusting tonight here in Blue Ridge.  Tricia and Dylan got a little yesterday morning before church.  Tricia is watching for school closings or delays right now. Nothing for Greenville yet!

We are closing on our refinancing of the mortgage tomorrow.  That should make a good difference in the monthly bills.  We are starting a new financial class with Freedom in February.  It's Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. Can't wait to get that started and get more focus on our bills.  Maybe a bailout is coming my way too!  Ha ha!  

Tomorrow will also be the one of the better days in our country's history.  I look forward to our next administration and the pomp and circumstance for 1 day will be worthy.  I am personally glad that Bush will now go back to Texas and we can begin a new chapter.  Enough said.  Obama has his hands full and I continue to pray for his wisdom and guidance to be blessed by God's own hand.  

Our Clemson Tigers put up a great fight against Wake Forest on Saturday; but, never could get the game rolling their way.  Glad to see Wake ranked #1 today by the polls.  Makes us look a little better and that shows in the fact that we remain the same rank this week, despite the 1 loss.  We head up to Chapel Hill this week to play where we have never won.  Maybe it will all be different this year?  Sooner or later the streak has to end, right?  Coach Purnell has another great time and it could be getting close.  We will see on Wednesday night on prime time TV.  Go Tigers!

Well, I am beat and ready for a long sleep.  Thanks for reading as always!  See ya!

No comments: