Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Top Shows of 2008, Clemson Bowl loss

As promised, I wanted to take a few minutes to write about the concert fun from 2008.  If you know me, I live for LIVE music and 2008 was a good year; not the best year for music, but a solid year.  

Before I dive in, just a few words about the Tiger's performance today in the Gator Bowl vs. Nebraska.  I thought the defense was the hero of the game and turned in an incredible spirited effort.  The offense on the other hand, hmmm.  Did they show up in the 2nd half?  Not until the last series in a do or die, and...well, they died.  Not one 1st down in the 2nd half until the last series.  You can't leave a defense on the field like that and expect a win, no matter how good they really can be.  Bowers and the rest of the defense line really showed what they have and will be offering next year.  This was the end of the James Davis era.  Sorry to not get a win for him and I'm almost hoping that Spiller goes to the NFL.  His unsportsman-like conduct call in the 2nd half for throwing the football at the defensive player from Nebraska was warranted to a point and not a good way to reflect on the Clemson team.  Cullen Harper didn't have his best game, leaving the pocket too early, too often and that last series failed in part due to his inability to avoid a sack.  But, overall, I am proud of this team and how they rallied after Bowden's departure and if nothing else, they gave them Gamecocks a fine defeathering in the Valley.  Lots of fun this year and lots of heartburn.  But, the season is done and I look forward to the Swinney era.  Go Tigers!

Now, let's talk about the concert fun of 2008!

#5 Allman Brothers and Phil Lesh, Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre, Charlotte, October
Two of my favorites and the Allmans came out with all cylinders blazing.  A shorter set for them but really glad to see and hear Gregg in such great form after his recent Hep C treatment setback.  The good thing about shorter ABB sets, the drums don't go on forever.  :-)  Nice to see Phil with his new band, it had been since Dylan was born since my last Phil show.  I became a Larry Campbell fan this night and seeing Phil is like catching up with an old buddy.  

#4 Marc Cohn, The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC  1/20/08
This was a birthday present for Tricia and just an incredible night of music, intimate and spirited.  I think he came back for 3 encores.  Just a perfect night in Asheville for the two of us.

#3 Rush, Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre, Charlotte, NC, July
Miles got his first Rush show and I got to see almost the same set list from the 2007 tour but I tell you this was not the same show.  This was near the end of the tour, 2007 near the start and the difference was more than tangible.  The band was dialed in and had a ferocious spirit and focus.  It was almost too good.  Can't wait for the next tour!  Miles had nothing but smiles and we enjoyed hanging with my good buddy, Matt at the show.  

#2 Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Asheville Civic Center, June
Although the Civic Center is not the best place for music, it has a great ambiance.  This collaboration giving us the full Raising Sand experience along with T. Bone Burnett and Buddy Miller as support was one of the best shows I have seen in a long time.  Tricia and I had such a good time at this show.  She came away thinking "that Robert Plant guy can really sing" .  There versions of "The Battle of Evermore" and "Down To The River To Pray" were goose bump inspiring.  Really, this is one I hope to see a DVD of the tour or a live album or something.  I would like to relive this one again, soon.

#1 Christmas Jam, 12/12/08, Asheville Civic Center
This was the first night of the 20th anniversary for the Christmas Jam which has raised close to 1 million dollars for Habitat for Humanity.  Any night I get to see Govt Mule, Derek Trucks Band and the Allmans has got to be good.  Through in a bunch of guests including John Paul Jones from Led Zep and it's close to concert nirvana for me.  The show started at 7pm and we walked away from the Allman Brothers set at 420am.  This night will be one for the books.  I could have done the 2nd night but I was more than satisfied by what we received on night #1.  Thank you Warren for a Real Good Time!

Honorable Mentions:
Greyboy Allstars, Wanee Festival, April (man, I danced a hole in my shoes during this set)
Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby, Peace Center, April
Susan Tedeschi Band, Peace Center Ampitheatre, April
Wanee Family Jam at the Wanee Festival, April (April was a good month for concerts :-) )
Derek Trucks Band, Spirit Square, Uptown, Charlotte, November (with Miles)
The Blind Boys of Alabama with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Isothermal Community College 
North Mississippi Allstars, The Handlebar, May
Yonder Mountain String Band, The Handlebar
James McMurty, The Handlebar


Biggest surprise of the year:
Steep Canyon Rangers, Peace Center Bluegrass Festival
This was hands down the best bluegrass I have seen ever.  These guys are tight and fast with locked down vocals and stage presence.  Can't wait to see them again.  I'm a fan!

The concert that made me feel the oldest:
Avett Brothers, Peace Center
Tricia and I felt a little out of place at times during this show.  Were we too old to get this screaming and thrashing?  One minute it was a thrashing bluegrass folk concert, the next it was some of the best acoustic folk you will hear any where.  A great act but I just don't get some of their more energetic tunes.  They have tons of talent and a fanatic following of young folks. Like I said, I like these guys and their more mellow stuff a lot but just don't' get the rest of it. That's okay cause I doubt I will pay to see them again and can pick and choose what tunes to listen to when I am ready.

Lots of great free shows at the Bohemian Cafe for the WNCW Tower of Song show tapings.  My favorites would be Tyler Ramsey back in the spring and the masterful Jerry Douglas playing to a PACKED house.  The North MI Allstars were great there too as was hometown boy, Edwin McCain.  Still pinch myself that we get such great free shows there and often too!

So, as I wrote about these concerts, I got to thinking about my previous judgement about the year in review.  This was a great year for Live music on my part.  I have really taken advantage of living in the Upstate and The Handlebar and The Bohemian are homes away from home for me, gotta love the smoke free places that support music and good times.  I made some great recordings and a couple of not so great but the Sony PCM-D5o continues to be the best digital recorder I have ever had.  I am blessed and I look forward to more concert fun in the new year.  Here's to the fun and the music to be experienced!

See ya!

No comments: