Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Phil Lesh set and show review

Cumberland Blues
Ramble On (not Ramble On Rose, some tune with Jackie Green on lead vocals)
Rock and Roll Blues
Minglewood Blues
Row Jimmy
Golden Road
Uncle John's Band
Long jam
Dark Star
So Many Road
Dark Star
Midnight Hour
E Cosmic Charlie

This was such a great night of music. For $26, we got almost 4 hours of jams. The mix was pretty good from center on the lawn. I can't find any reason to continue paying through the nose to sit up close any more. I have seen my fair share of shows up very close and can't see the benefit of paying higher prices for more hassle. I like the freedom of moving around on the lawn and with my low rise beach chair, it's perfect on the lawn or you can get a seat on the front section. I really should have taken my recording gear as the sound was great center. I talked to a couple of other tapers I know and should have a copy soon.
As for the music, I already wrote about the Allman Brothers set being full of energy. That was the call of the night, Derek was animated: bending strings way out and I think he played some effects for the first time ever heard by me (but I could be wrong, might have been that 1 $12 beer going to my head ;-) ). I can't complain about any of the music in their set. I finally got to hear "Gambler's Roll" and hearing "Come On Into My Kitchen" with Larry Campbell on fiddle was classic. My all time favorite ABB tune, "Dreams" did not disappoint and both Derek and Warren got full solos in on that one. Oteil was funky as ever with "The Same Thing" showcasing just how their rhythm section has no compare. Can't wait to hear that one again. The encore of "Whipping Post" was nicely done with some "Norwegian Wood" teases going throughout.
Nice tight focused set that was 2 hours of classic ABB with choice covers and ABB chestnuts.

Now, Phil Lesh and Friends...wow! Where do I start? It's been since 2001 since I caught up with Phil. He looks great and sounded full of vitality. He will be 70 in 2 years and it did not show. He played a HUGE modulus bass and showed his complete mastery of that 6 stringed monster. His bottom line was the drivin' force of the set. John Molo held down the jazzy funk percussion with much skill. This was my first time seeing this line-up with Larry Campbell and Jackie Green too. That two guitar combo were in fine shape last night turning Phil's set into a more rockin' country outfit and then immediately turning and doing a 180 degree into a spacey psychedelic jazz group with Steve Molitz providing sound effects and keyboards from the moons of Saturn. The jams never felt forced and the rock edge almost never left any of the tunes. I had seen Larry Campbell with Bob Dylan and with the Levon Helm band. He is adept at almost every instrument he touches and last night, his vocals and instrumental attack showed why he is so highly in demand as a tour musician and in the studio. But, I have to say I was most impressed with Mr. Jackie Green. I had heard some of his work on the The Band tribute CD. But, I had not idea that he was such a master of guitar and his vocals were spot on for the Dead tunes. He really showed his level of musical maturity on "So Many Roads", an old Garcia/Hunter tune that Jerry worked very well in the later years of the Grateful Dead. Jackie paid homage to the original but he really made it his own last night. Theresa Williams came out for a few tunes as well for vocals and made Phil sound really good on the harmonies that blended well. She had a great stage presence that seemed to make everyone relaxed and she came and left when not needed (ie. long jams). These were the best vocals I have ever heard on a Phil set and the end of "Cosmic Charlie" with just the vocals singing "Go on home, your Momma's calling you" said it all. Phil is in great shape and spirits and has put together yet another fine outfit that shows he is the one who is carrying the Dead legacy forward...furthur!

Thanks to Joey, Jess and Greg my friends from Greenville for a great afternoon of music, fun and spirit! See you all soon!

No comments: