Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Rain Barrel


I finally have some rain in my rain barrel to work with. We have had a few storms in the last week, one of which knocked a huge limb out of a tree. That huge limb crashed on our fence and tore a few of the boards loose, actually it ripped them into shreds. The support beams are fine so I just need to get the 4 boards replaced. The winds actually picked up the dog pen my neighbor has and lifted it clear over the 6 feet of privacy fence, completely clearing the fence and putting it in the woods behind the yard. The paper reported 65 mile/hour winds. It looked like a tornado had hit the neighborhood when we came home from the Indiana Jones movie. We didn't see the real damage until this morning.

Ok, back to the rain barrel. I have had been able to water all my trees, plants and transplanted grass with no problem with my rain barrel supply. It gets supply right of the gutter drain that I rigged into the top. It has a mosquito net on the top too. I have the overflow going out of the hose you see at the top and I put it on some cement blocks to allow me to easily get my water jug under the spigot on the bottom. One of the coolest things is that this is actually a recycled pickle barrel that was rigged to be a rain barrel by someone with Upstate Forever. It's also helping me with the rain drainoff that is eroding part of my yard back there too. So, for $50 I am saving more than money on the water for my trees and plants. Just wanted to share with you the happenings in the backyard at the homestead. I might try to put together my thoughts on the Indiana Jones movie tomorrow. Tricia and I are working on the budget tonight, so pray for us!!!

See ya!

No comments: