Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blood Diamond

Still loving all this rain and cool weather. Reminds me of Washington State, my home away from home :-) Tricia is working hard to complete her room and get ready for the student/parent "Meet the Teacher" fun tomorrow night. The boys are down at Nana's and will be coming home tomorrow with Pete and Betty. They are also bringing up the old wooden playset from Susan's (my sister)backyard. It's the first installment of our backyard fort we are going to build, including a zip line down the hill!!! The boys are excited about that, me too.

Tricia and I have taken advantage of the boys being gone by watching movies at home this week. I have watched Braveheart, Supersize Me (watched online via Netflix, that is so cool!!!), Who Killed The Electric Car, and Blood Diamond so far this week. Needless to say, my reading of Cold Mountain has been slow this week! All of these movies have been very interesting and stirred some dark emotions, whether anger, frustration or fear within me. Occasionally, hope and dignity showed their faces too. I was going to see The Dark Knight this week too but that might have been too much considering the theme of the others.

Blood Diamond was very intersting to watch considering my upcoming trip back to Africa. Security is a big issue in Africa, regardless of where on the continent. But, I just can't imagine living in the war zones like that movie portrays. I will again be landing and refueling in Dakar, Senegal on the way to/from Botswana. That's as close as I get to Sierra Leone and Liberia but the French-speaking Africans that service the planes during those stops look a great deal like the ones in the movie. We just don't know how good we have it here Stateside until we take a step outside of our little box. Continue to pray for our trip and those on the mission. We got word this week that the church there now has a new building permit. They said, "bring your work clothes!!!". Should be fun!

See ya!

No comments: