Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Farm Aid

Yesterday was the concert for Farm Aid 2008. I watched a good bit online until I finally figured out that my Direct TV was showing it without commercials on the tube. Duh!!! Neil and Mellencamp had some great sets. Willie was Willie. By that, I mean it was the almost the same setlist from the 2 times I have seen him live. Not that is bad, just an observation. When you are a living legend at the age of 75, you can do what you want. At least, it doesn't sound like anything else you hear.

I have been a fan and supporter of Farm Aid for a long time. I come from a long line of family farmers and my Dad and GrandDad had to sell all of the farm they worked when I was in middle school. It was always a boyhood dream of my brother and I to be farmers and divide the farm and live on the farm with our families. When they went bankrupt and sold everything, including the home where my grandparents lived, that dream was wiped away. Luckily, a good friend of the family bought the homestead and let my grandparents live there until my grandfather passed away. Farm Aid works to support family farms through promotion of local produce and organic produce. They are also a big help during natural disasters like the Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and now Ike. Family farmers look to Farm Aid for support during these hard times.

So, I gave a little yesterday and I would like to ask you to do the same. If you care about family farms and the choice of having locally grown produce, then you should do the same. Between now and 9/30 Direct TV will even match your contribution dollar for dollar. It's all tax-deductible as well. Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews are on the board of directors and Willie signs each and every check they give out to farmers. It's not some huge organization and all the performers donate all of their time and expenses for the cause. So, check it out here: Farm Aid 2008. If nothing else, sign up for the newsletter and stay in tune with the family farm cause. I thank you personally! Hey, right now, I am watching one of my favorite bands, moe., jamming on Direct TV at Farm Aid. Very cool and it's their last show until next year as they plan to take a long tour break after this Farm Aid show. Enjoy your break with your family moe. and thanks for the great set at Wanee 2008!!!

Today is Sunday. We had a great time yesterday with the boys and my Mom and Aunt Amy. We went to Miles' football game first. I took Keller and he was so good, especially when the kids gave him some love. He was so in his element and calm with the kids. He looked like he really enjoyed the kids hugging him, kissing him and talking to him. I was proud of his behavior. Miles throw a couple of great passes and caught a few for some good yards. His team won 19-0. Miles and I followed the other group over to Dylan's soccer game (almost 30 minues of travel time into rural Spartanburg county). So, Miles and I made it to Dylan's game, with the snacks just when the final whistle blew. But, his Nana and Aunt Amy got to see him play and the snacks and drinks made it on time. Check out some pictures here: Fall Sports 2008 with Keller

Later, we went over to Lake Robinson Grill and had some good ole Southern grill cusine. I had the best chilicheeseburger with home fries (big chunks of potato is more like it). Everyone was stuffed and then we went across the street to the park on the lake and enjoyed the cool afternoon sun looking at the Blue Ridge mountains. After some naps back home, Miles and I tackled the back yard with the mower and Mom and Amy headed back to Sumter. The backyard was in need of attention and the new blade on the mower was ready to give it. Check out Miles on the lawn mower, which makes Dad very proud (and happy): Mower man. Dylan is supervising from the tree house.

Clemson blew out SC State 54-0 and USC got a good battle scare from Wofford (Spartanburg's college). I watched FSU lose to Wake Forest and started thinking again that my projection that the Thursday night game at Wake Forest is going to be the hardest game of the year for the Tigers. I think I am looking to 100% correct as Grobe has another great team ready to play for the ACC championship.

Today, we are going to hang around, run errands and hopefully work on the zip line. My Mom brought 2 hay bales that we put in front of the post just in case :-) Dylan can't wait. I also plan to start working on the website for my friends in Botswana (http://oldnaledifellowship.org). Right now, that domain points to the family site. So, don't expect much until later. Also, I plan to watch some NFL with one eye from the couch this afternoon (aka "take a nap").

Well, time to get the boys ready for church. They had Calvin spend the night and I found them at 430am using flashlights to play in Dylan's room. I put a quick stop to that action. Of course, Tricia slept right through all that fun! She did look great as she just left for church to set up refreshments, so I guess it was worth it!

See ya!

No comments: