Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday

Just hanging out today and working around the house, inside and outside.

I went to a very cool workshop this morning over in Spartanburg put on by Upstate Forever for rain barrels. It's a very cool way to collect rain water to use for your lawn and garden plants. The rain barrels are actually recycled pickle barrels from Del Monte or some company like that. The usual cost is around $100 but I got this one as part of the workshop for $50. I am going to put it in the backyard later next week. It will also slow down some of the erosion in our yard that we are working on as well.

Miles and Tricia are packing for camp. He goes to Camp McCall on Monday morning. I am taking him up to camp after we get back from the Rush show. We are spending the night in Charlotte with my good buddy, Matt Hopkins. Then, Miles and I are going to hit the breakfast and showers before heading back to Greer to pick up the camp supplies and head to the mountains. I really don't know which he is more excited about: Rush or camp but it's cool they are back to back, so a big weekend and week for him. Hard for me to believe he is old enough to head off to camp for a week by himself. If he makes it home with any clothes and his retainer (+ case) it will be a miracle. Luckily, he has been to Camp McCall twice with me as part of the Dad and Lad camp but this is his first time alone...anywhere for this long. It's going to be an amazing week for him.

Dylan and I head to Camp McCall the following week as part of Dad and Lad (through 3rd grade you go with Dad). He has listened to Miles talk about Camp McCall for so long and it's finally his turn! I think it's such a great idea to go with Dad for a few years to learn the camp and get to know the site and the staff. Makes the transition to Crusader (when they go alone) so much easier on everybody involved. Miles is looking forward to the big slide into the lake, the zip lines, the hikes to the waterfalls... the list goes on and on.

Back to the Rush show... Miles is about 6 feet off the ground in excitement about this show. We are leaving tomorrow after church (and a nap for me :-)). This will be the 7th time I have seen Rush since 1989 and it's very special to finally take Miles to see a band that has meant so much to me over the years and kept me sane and alive at times too. Their message is very uplifting and focused on who we are and what we can do here and now. It's amazing to think I first saw them 21 years ago as a high school senior. I have changed and they have changed but it's always for the best. To have Miles there with me and to know how much he is into the band is a great feeling because I know it will serve him well as he grows into a man. Of course, the 1970's were rough on everyone and Rush does have 1 tune, "A Passage to Bangkok" (out of all the tunes on over 30 albums) that references pot smoking. It's going to be part of the encore if the setlist holds true. They also show some old Reefer Madness video on the screens with this tune. It's all tongue and cheek for them but it will also be an opportunity for me to continue talking to Miles about choices he will have to make as an adult. I want him to be informed and armed with education, not hide his head in the sand. So, pray for my words to be the right ones. We are going to have some fun and learn a little too.
The 1970's

Now

To quote "New World Man" from their 1982 Signals album:

He's got a problem with his poisons
But you know hell find a cure
Hes cleaning up his systems
To keep his nature pure

Well, that was a heavy topic for me. I need to take a break and enjoy a lazy summer Saturday afternoon at home with the family. More on the show later!

See ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will definetly be praying for you about that conversation with Miles. You and Tricia should be proud of him though becasue he is a GREAT kid!