Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Brevard and Jupiter Coyote

I headed out for Brevard yesterday afternoon with an eye on the sky and ready to see Jupiter Coyote, almost 5 years to the date that I last saw them (5/26/05 at Swan Lake). I took 276 through the mountains and made it to Brevard in about 1hr 15min. Check out this picture I took with my blackberry from Caesar's Head looking back at Table Rock. I saw a few ravens fly around from the lookout too. Soaring above that sea of green trees. Always cool to stop by that park on the way up.



Brevard is a cool little mountain town, it has maintained a lot of it's Mayberry meets the mountains charm and they were in full celebration of spring when I made it to town. Free parking down the hill. The clouds kept building as the afternoon waned. I saw a little of Wilsin and got a soundboard patch a spot for my chair right in front of the soundboard just before Shannon Whitworth's set started. During her set, I wandered down to the food vendor area. Unfortunately, most of the food vendors were shutting down as the night came, most of the family crowd comes during the day and they had a Memorial Day parade and 5K during the day. I stood in front a BBQ vendor and watched the family and friends fix their plates. I guess I had some serious puppy dog eyes going as I asked "are you stilling selling plates?". Grandpa spoke up and said "nope, but even better" as he handed me the biggest chunk of rib meat. Talk about BBQ heaven standing on the corner of main street with grease on all of my fingers and a smile on my face listening to the music across the street. That was worth driving up the mountain on all those switchbacks (at about 5 mph).

I had a few minutes to spare before Jupiter Coyote started at 930pm, so I found my way inside the roped off beer garden and had 2 tasty Appalachian Brewery beers to get the evening just right. I was so ready for Jupiter Coyote and by this time a good crowd was forming to dance the night away with Brevard's big hometown band. But, the weather was not going to cooperate. We got 3 full songs and a partial of the 4th tune before the band had to pull the plug and try and wait out the rain. The band and soundboard were covered but the bottom had fallen out of the sky and it became a steady shower and not worth risking all of the "donated" equipment. It was a free show afterall. So, after standing in a door way of a closed shop and doing the rain dance in reverse, the band called the night. They promised to be back next year. Hopefully, I get a chance before then! They played The Handlebar in Greenville last New Year's eve; but, my inlaws were down from Ohio. Hopefully, sooner than another 5 years.

It's still raining off and on here in the Upstate. The forecast looks the same for the rest of the week too. We are talking about going up to Pleasant Ridge county park with the boys tomorrow as we are both off work. Miles leaves for Disney World on Tuesday. The talk inside the house about Disney has reached a peak and we all look forward to his big trip.

Great worship today at Freedom including graduate recognition, including the requisite baby in the bathtub shot that all parents love to show at these type events. We later took the Lord's Supper, which is always perfect and even more so as we celebrate Memorial Day. Jesus died to give us freedom and that is worth proclaiming everyday. I also pray that we would have no more wars that require us to remember those that have willingly given all for our freedom and nation. One day it will be perfect and the wars will all be gone. Until then, we must remember their sacrifices to keep us focused on that day.

Reading a new book, Picking Cotton. I heard about this story on NPR and made a note to get the book. I had the Greenville library order it and put myself on the list. So far, very well written and a page turner. Glad I have some downtime this long weekend to enjoy it.




See ya!

No comments: