Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Brown Spot on my ceiling?

Miles decided to take a bath in his bath tub. We think that is the first bath in that tub that we can remember since moving into our new home. Tricia and I have a full-sized bath tub in our bathroom. All the baths are there for a reason. I think I have another reason. You may or may not be familiar with the overflow drain on a tub. I got more familiar with the one on this tub this week.

See as Miles was taking a bath, I hear the shuffles of the infamous "chicken dance" and Tricia starts yelling "Mark there is water coming from the ceiling!" Sure enough, the kitchen light fixture was acting like a fountain. We quickly ran upstairs and got Miles out of the tub. A little investigation found the overflow cover to be loose, which makes the gasket seal loose. You get the idea. I killed the lights, removed the light fixture and got a nice stream of water out of the ceiling.

I have left the fixture our of the ceiling for now, letting it dry out. That was Tuesday night. On Wednesday, we noticed the telltale signs of water damage on the ceiling just under the tub. Not too bad but definitely from the overflow leak. I have tighten the overflow cap and gasket and no leaks from a few showers since the accident. I should be able to handle the stains with some Kilz and some touch up paint. Oh, the joys of home ownership!

If you don't know the chicken dance, I will save it for another day; but, it has something to do with Tricia being very nervous or uncomfortable. I think water coming out of the kitchen light fixture qualifies.

See ya!

No comments: