Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Africa 2009, New Spring, Tigers win BIG!

Philippians 2

Imitating Christ's Humility
 1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

1.  Great Africa meeting on Sunday.  I think there are about 8 from Freedom who are very interested and are praying about this mission and what it will be this year.  I should know in about 2 weeks as that is the deadline for the non-refundable deposit.  Please pray for us and this trip and that God's work be done as we step out to be the hands and feet of Jesus to those in Gaborone, Botswana.

2.  Went to New Spring church here in Greenville with my buddy, Scott Wolfe.  It was a message about marriage.  I think it did us both some good and was the right time for that message.  Perry Noble just got back from his first trip to Africa (Kenya) and it was cool to hear him drop more stories about the trip into the message.  I look forward to hearing the mission message for Africa in the weeks to come.  Scott and I are trying to hit New Spring every other weekend for the 6pm service.  Looking forward to the next time and following along via the podcasts.

3.  Woooo Hooo!  What a Tiger win last night!  After falling to FSU at home and then blowing the Virginia game, I think we needed this shot in the arm more than anything going down the stretch.  The first half was close; but, we dusted them in the 2nd half with some EXTREME intensity that just rattled the Maryland team.  It was fun to watch and I needed that too!

I posted some stuff about 15 albums that made a difference in how I listen to music, for good or bad on Facebook last night.  Albums that changed my life or albums that marked a period in my life.  It was really hard to pin it down to 15 and I wanted to add so many more.  Here's my list, think what you will.  Yes, I have some admissions in here that I wouldn't want my kids to read but history is history and I can't deny some of past, no matter how hard I try.  I do know that God has changed me through music, secular and gospel.    Enjoy!

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, and emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!

I will try to have some chronology here, starting way back when...

1. America- History
My older sister had this on LP (remember those). Cool album cover but the tunes are what got: funky acoustic jams, tight vocal harmonies and I had never heard CSNY yet. "Tin Man", "Horse With No Name", and my favorite "Ventura Highway" This one made me pick up the guitar way back when.

2. John Denver- Greatest Hits. 8 track heaven. This one reminds me of my Dad and spending time on the farm and trying to be cool while shooting pool in the hangout room at my Dad's place. All of these are still classic in my mind. "Sunshine on my Shoulders", "Country Roads", "Rocky Mountain High" and "Poems, Prayers and Promises". Still regret I never saw Denver live.

3. Def Leppard- Pyromania
First cassette that I ever bought, at Wal-Mart, no less. Also the first tape I ever played until it was worn out. How do you spell untock glibben gloppen globben? This one made me pick up the electric guitar. This one will forever remind me of Myrtle Beach and hanging out on the pier with a boombox on my shoulder trying to be cool.

4. Boston- Boston. This one took me places in the 9th grade when I got a copy. I think it might have replaced Def Leppard in the tape deck of the 1978 Mercury Monarch that was my first ride. It also became the spring break soundtrack for me. Classic rock from the first power chord and it never gets old with the beach on one side of the road. 

5. Cowboy Junkies- The Trinity Sessions. It took one video on VH1 back in the summer of 1988 and I was off to Camelot Music at the mall to get this tape. I had never heard of this band but was hooked from the first listen. This one reminds me of big houses in the summer with the windows open and ceiling fans slowly turning and strangely enough some of the more mercurial relationships in my life. It's country, blues and folk in a perfect live setting that has benefited from 20+ years of devoted listenings. The Timmons family may have made the perfect album with this one. 


6. Rush- Signals (aka Subdivisions). Thanks to my buddy Matt Hopkins on this one. He turned me on to Rush and 25+ years later and this one still ranks near the top. It was practically all I listened to in the summer between 11th and 12th grades. I can put on the headphones and "Digital Man" and "Analog Kid" take me to that summer. This is the album that started it all for me and what has me taking my sons to see Rush and turning them into Rush fans so many years later.

7. Led Zeppelin IV- I still remember my cousin Vickie Charles from New Orleans telling me "you gotta listen to Led Zeppelin, you might not like it now but you will love it later!" when I was just getting into rock music. I remember her cranking up "Black Dog" and smoking a cigarette and singing along in my front yard. I was blown away with her show and the tunes. "When The Levee Breaks" still freaks me out and gives me chills. A close tie would be Led Zep II and how that blew my mind when I finally stopped listening to Zoso long enough to realize that they had other great albums, every one of them.

8. Black Sabbath- Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath. Yes, I admit I was a classic Sabbath freak. Tony's guitar and Geezer's bass made me rock out like no one else could. It was heavy but funky all at the same time. This one especially got a lot of LP play time when I would study during high school. It stayed in constant rotation on the turntable between Maiden and ZZ Top albums and that's the way I would study during high school. It's a wonder I made it to college :-) It was a close call on this one between Paranoid and the first one but this is the one where they finally got it to the Beatles level of production and still had the Harley shuffle. Sorry, but I can't stand anything past this album and rarely listen to anything other than a bit of Paranoid every now and then.

9. CSNY- So Far. My freshman year at Clemson and this album are forever intertwined. "Helpless", "Helplessly Hoping", "Wooden Ships". I was also doing a lot of mind altering substances back then and this fit the speed at which I was moving back. This also introduced me to Neil Young and was a welcomed reprieve from all those Sabbath albums :-)

10. Neil Young- Ragged Glory If Neil's "Freedom" made me a Neil Young fun, then this one made me a Rustie (an obsessed Neil Young fan) and was the yin to the yang that was Freedom during the period of time when I would become immersed in the world of Neil Young.

11. Miles Davis- Kind of Blue. My oldest son is named Miles in honor of what this album has meant to my life. It's hard to remove this album from my life. The classic lineup that included Davis, Cannonball, Coltrane, Mr. PC and Bill Evans. My Dad had this on LP and I have that same LP. I can't begin to list where this takes me; but, it's a good safe place in my mind and close to heaven. It would be the desert island disc if I could pick just one.

12. Widespread Panic- Space Wrangler. I think at one time in my life I would have picked this one to be the solo desert island disc. I distinctly remember hearing "Stop Go" in the parking lot of a Dead show in Charlotte back in 1989 from the top of a RV. It made so much sense and fit like a glove around everything I liked in music. I became an ambassador for this band and would really annoy most of my friends who didn't like them by insisting we play some Panic. I can still pull this one out and "Chilly Water" will make my skin crawl and take me to the Georgia Theatre on a hot, sticky night in Athens in the late 80's or early 90's with a hazy vision of lights and a thunder of bass in my chest, just like it was yesterday.

13. Bob Dylan- Oh Mercy. I remember seeing this one in the collection of a friend at Clemson and just looking at the picture of Dylan on the back cover. Thinking to myself, this can't be any good. I could be no more wrong about a CD. I know Dylan has better albums and there are some good ones;but, this is the one that got in my head and has never left. "Most of the Time" could be his best song in my universe. This also introduced me to the magic of Daniel Lanois (U2, Neville Brothers, Emmylou Harris, Peter Gabriel, et al).

14. Grateful Dead- Dead Set. This is the one that made a Dead Head. The intense Jerry and that rhythm section from outer space. Can't help it, this is the one that did it for me. "Passenger", 'Friend of the Devil", "Fire On The Mountain" and the classic "Brokedown Palace" encore forever carved a space and time in my mind. A definitive album among many live offerings from these guys. One I can put in and go right back to a show in an instance.

15. The Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore. If there was 1 album that I played constantly, bordering on too many times during my Army years, it was this one. This is one that found myself thinking "how did I miss this one for so long?" I had other ABB albums and had seen the band a few times and enjoyed their work but never got the deal until the "Statesboro Blues" hit me up side the head. It was slide guitar heaven from then on...

This was way too hard to narrow down to 15 and some of these are distant relics; but, I stuck with the rules. But, I can think of many more that have changed how I listen to music or what a use to compare good albums to these days. I will stick with the rules and send it on. Hope you find something to relate to in this list, it was fun. If you get confused, listen to the music play!
Close runners up-
Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, American Beauty, Brighter Than Creations' Dark, Alive, She Cried, Moving Pictures...



See ya!

No comments: