Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Camp Greenville, Hornsby and Skaggs Review

Well, I survived 3 days and 2 nights with a 150 or so 4th graders. We had a blast up in the mountains on the border of SC and NC. The camp staff were great fun teachers and the kids really did learn about the environment from canoeing, using a compass and map, digging in the stream for invertebrates, learning about erosion and just having fun in the woods. Night time in the cabins was fairly painless -> what do you expect eight 4th grade boys to do in the woods at night :-) but I was glad to sleep in my own bed next to Tricia last night. Miles even got to square dance on Tuesday night. I hope Dylan gets the chance to take this trip in a few years. I got the boys in my cabin up early for a walk down to Pretty Place on Tuesday morning but the fog was way too thick. I did get the chance to head back that afternoon with some adults and we could see downtown Greenville (about 60 miles). It was a real treat. I should have some pictures soon as I dropped Miles' resusable camera off at Walgreens last night. As the camp nurse, I was in charge of a large box of prescription meds along with 1 other nurse. Nobody was airvac'd so we think we did a great job!!!

Tricia and I had such a great evening last Saturday night with Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs at the Peace Center in Greenville. Skaggs' band, Kentucky Thunder, backed the two. My recording from up close in front of the left stack turned out super! If you are interested in a copy, drop me a line. I didn't know too much about Skaggs before the show but came away a fan. Those boys in Kentucky Thunder are top notch pickers and singers. Tricia and I are very familar with Hornsby, having seen him over 10 times and owning everything in print. It was different to hear some of his tunes in a bluegrass vein but then again we have heard hints of this collaboration for a few years at Hornsby's shows. We got more than hints on Saturday. "The Way It Is" with Skaggs singing lead was totally reinvented and came across very well. Hornsby's jazz influences were noticed throughout the 2+ hour set, with him trading licks with the band and Skaggs. If you have a chance to see this tour, get a ticket. The sold out audience at the Peace Center would definitely agree with me on that one!

Today, I am heading down to Florida for the 2008 Wanee festival. I will definitely miss not seeing the Allman Brothers Band as I have written already but look forward to seeing new bands and old friends down under the mossy oaks. The weather looks hot and partly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. I pray we don't get the soaking we got last year after the festival ended. But, that's the chance you take and I'm ready to take it!

On the Dylan front, he got a solid hit at his first at bat on Tuesday at the first game of the season. He was stranded on 1st after that. He has reminded me several times that his team is "0 and 1 Daddy and we could be 0 and 2 if we lose again". Regardless, he does admit to having a lot of fun if you ask him ;-)

See ya!

No comments: