Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cold Mountain and new Dylan (sorta)

I finished reading Cold Mountain on Monday night and was planning to write something on Tuesday until everything fell apart physically. I feel much better today (Thursday) and wanted to just share how sad I am that the book is done. I can't step back into that story and soak the landscape details that Frazier uses or the relationships in a different light. This book is a masterpiece and one of the best books I have ever read. While the ending was tragic, just like the war and the times, I was more sadden by the end of the reading of the story than the real ending. The movie was a good attempt and I plan to rewatch that soon but the book will be in my head for a long time as I travel these hills and mountains of the area I call home.

For my birthday, I worked a 1/2 day and then went out feeling fair and a little stronger. I went by the library and returned some CDs and put a hold on Charlies Frazier's only other novel, Thirteen Moons. I also got a new book, Bush Tragedy, that explores how George W. Bush's family relationships and circle of friends influenced the failures of his presidency. This is something that interests me like trying not to look a bad wreck on the highway. But, I feel this is something we need to examine to learn from our history and move forward. Should be a fun read as the author puts W. "on the couch". I hope I get to see the movie W. soon too. But, will have this book done before that movie.

After the library, a haircut. Then I tried to do some shopping at Best Buy and knew I was not feeling good when I cut that trip short and decided I better hit Costco and head back as soon as I could. After Costco, Tricia and the boys joined me and we went down to one of my favorite places, The Bohemian Cafe. We saw about 1/2 of J.J. Grey's set before I felt exhaustion and stomach cramps telling me I was just about maxed out. We then dropped off snacks for our life group at Cliff and Sherry's home. We did make it to Cold Stone Cremery for a quick ice cream treat. I felt like I could handle some ice cream and I was right. The Pumpkin with graham crackers was just what the doctor ordered. Tricia and the boys also gave me a great birthday gift, Bob Dylan's new collection of outtakes and remixes called Tell Tale Signs. It covers the late 80's through the most recent work and it's just amazing how he can turn a song around with a different lyric in one spot or a complete verse change. What he leaves on the cutting floor of the studio is sometimes unbelievable; but, I am glad we eventually get our ears and minds to experience the "lost tracks". I had streamed both CDs via NPR's web and was looking forward to owning this collection. The 60 page booklet is very detailed and the complete companion to the tracks. Thanks Tricia, Miles and Dylan! Just what your music geek Dad wanted for his birthday!!!

We are going to try and hit the hibachi steak house on another night when my stomach can handle more than ice cream. Before I close this morning, I wanted to share 2 things about my son, Dylan, that really exposes what he is like, personality wise. He and Miles gave me a birthday card yesterday before school. Dylan also gave me a handful of change as my "present". When he handed me the money, he looked at me and said "that's my money, not yours". He wanted me to know that he was giving something that was his, even though I gave him that change last weekend when we were out. But, I knew exactly what he was telling me and why. Later in the evening, when I wasn't feeling that good and he was getting too wound up with Miles in the van, Tricia and I were trying to get him to calm down. I mentioned that if he didn't calm down, I would consider using my belt when we got home. That got his attention and he was quiet the remainder of the drive home, not a peep. When we got closer to home, I said "Dylan, I am proud of you for making the good choice to be quiet and respectful." Without pause he responded, "that's because I didn't have anything else funny to say." Boy, what an attitude! He is defiant to the core. Hopefully, we can continue to mold that strong will to serve a higher purpose.

Thank you God for my two sons and my beautiful loving wife. Life is good.
See ya!

No comments: