Google Voice

"It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe."
Sir Francis Crick


Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
--William James

>>>Photo Links<<<

If any of the photo links are broken, you can find the public photo gallery here

Friday, July 3, 2009

Being a Dad is not easy

I hate it when I have to disappoint one of my kids. Dylan and Miles were so set on seeing the new Transformers movie: Revenge of the Fallen. We had plans to take them on Saturday for a family movie outing. That might still happen; but, it won't be that Transformer movie. Read here.
While I know Dylan loves his Transformer toys and video games, this movie goes way beyond what I want to expose to my 7 and 11 year old boys. I'm glad we got a tip from some school teachers that Tricia works with while at the Greer City park last night. I have suggested we go and see Night at the Museum 2, and that might still happen once Dylan gets over his stubborn refusal to see any other movie, ever! I told him I don't have any problems with the toys or the video games; but, the movie is not intended for him and I had major issues with the content and it's rated PG-13 for a reason. We did watch the 1st Transformer movie last summer; but, we watched it at home and we had to control some of the content and discuss during the movie. What makes it worse is Dylan's buddy, who is also 8, has already seen the movie. I was a little surprised about that given what I know about their family, maybe they missed the reviews. Oh well, like I told Dylan, I am not raising Nick. I am the Dad of Miles and Dylan and it's my responsibility to control what their minds are exposed to while they are in my care. God demands that of me and I have to take it seriously. I told Tricia (and she is in agreement with me on this after reading the review), I would rather Dylan be disappointed and mad now than be spiritually and mentally harmed and mislead. His big crocodile tears didn't help either. Being a Dad is hard; but, everything good that we pour into these boys will be what grows out of them as men when they are old enough to thank me for the hard choices. That is my prayer.

Hope you have a safe and fun 4th of July. We are heading down to the lake with some friends from Freedom (Steve and Amanda) after I work a 1/2 day. Then tomorrow we may see a movie (see above :-) ) and then Greer is having a Freedom celebration at the City park with bands and fireworks. That will be fun! You know what's really cool about the City park? Free Wifi! My iPhone picks up the signal right as I get out of the van. That is cool!

Hey, did you know Billy Mays was building a home here in Greer right next to us on Lake Robinson? Weird week with all the "famous" and infamous celebrity departures and our Governor digging a grave at press conferences. I won't be surprised if we don't have a new Governor here in South Carolina by the end of July. Sad state of affairs. Like Jon Stewart said last week: "just another politician with a conservative agenda and a liberal penis". Ouch!

See ya!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only "mean mommy" that actually cares what movies my young kids watch. Way to go Mark!